With a new season. you will need to freshen up that polish. I got a question asking what my favorite fall nail polish colors are this season. After some thought, I came up with these 5 colors. Ironically, before I got this question I had […]
Though it’s not technically summer yet, it is definitely starting to feel like it. I always try to adopt my beauty routines a bit early before the seasons change over… especially for summer. The sun & heat are so strong and can do so much damage on your body. And while I mostly focus on keeping my skin looking healthy and glowing, it is important not to forget about our hair as well. I’ve always been one to wash and air-dry my hair as often as I can, especially during the warmer months. The less heat I use, the less dry and damaged my hair will be. But living in the south creates many more obstacles to overcome including humidity & super heat. With these obstacles, you now have the battle between dry & damaged and moisture & non-manageable hair.
So let’s dive in. I have had to re-evaluate my haircare products the past couple years and find out what really works best and it best for my health. Coconut Oil is a savior for me. I use it for almost everything including my hair care regime. I like to use it as a hot oil treatment to help control the moisture, add shine and leaves the hair comfortably soft. I use coconut oil about every 10-14 days but if I am outside quite a bit I use it about every week. Plus it is not super expensive so it won’t break the bank. Loved adding these to my summer beauty routines!
Summer Hair Health Examples
- Shampoo & Conditioner
- Sometimes during the winter months, I opt for a 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner. Just with the ease and simplicity on my hair it works. But during the summer, I have to make sure I use a shampoo & conditioner with enough moisture. The type of shampoo & conditioner you use depends on your hair type. I have fine, dry hair & this shampoo and conditioner works best for me.
- Oil Treatment
- Every couple weeks I try to do a hot oil treatment. Now I do not go all crazy with the hot oil treatments it is simply just hot oil. I usually melt some coconut oil in a bowl then slather it all over my hair. I will keep it on for 15-30 minutes then rinse in the shower. This hot oil helps keep my hair silky, adding moisture & coating over my ends. With short hair I don’t get to curl it as much but I do straighten my hair somethings so this hot oil treatment makes up for that.
- There are very few instances where I use a brush on my hair. I have been using a wide tooth wood comb for years and I believe that it has helped minimize hair breakage and letting my hair grow. Even if you are at the salon, you can ask your stylist to use a comb or their fingers to brush through your hair. I will sometimes use a round brush when blow drying my hair but that is not very often.
- Heat vs. No-Heat
- Opting to air dry has been something I have been doing for years. Minimizing the amount of heat on your hair is important to keep from getting dry & breaking.
At the end of the day, the best thing you can do for your hair is feed it with the best nutrients and vitamins in needs. We are all different and our bodies need different things. But you need to start from within to make sure your outer appearance reflects on your insides. I am not an expert but it you quit feeding your body with junk, you skin & hair will respond. So be careful what your body absorbs – that includes the chemicals you put on your skin as well as the ones you eat.
For more posts like this one, check out my Beauty Page. You can also check out my Summer Beauty Week for the perfect tips for this summer. Each day this week I will be posting something new so be sure to check it out! Oh! and I updated my Pinterest Boards so check out my Beauty Board here!
With a summer makeup routine, you want to take your actual makeup routine & make it simpler. And with the heat and humidity getting stronger by the day, I felt like I needed to update my daily makeup products as well as the old routine. I don’t want to “cake” on the makeup, I wanted to make sure my skin could “breathe” all summer long and get a fresh, barely-there look. Plus, I wanted to make sure that my freckles could pop this summer!
For those that wanted to make sure they got the best of both worlds, I have included the original makeup routine + the summer makeup routine, as well as my own routine. We got a lot going on so be sure to check it all out…
- Morning Face Routine
- Shadow, Liner, Mascara
- Liner, Lipstick, Gloss
- Setting Spray
Now let me just say that I do not follow this extensive routine on a good day. So with summer starting, I wanted to make sure I could simply it even more.
Summer Makeup Routine
- Morning Face Routine
- BB Cream with Sunscreen
- Cheek Tint
- Tinted Chapstick
My Summer Makeup Routine
- Morning Face Routine
- Cheek Tint
- Tinted Chapstick
- Burt’s Bees – I love their tinted chapstick. It adds just the perfect amount of color for those warm summer days.
- WELLPEOPLE – This is my absolute favorite mascara. It goes on smooth, doesn’t clump and is waterproof. Perfect for warm weather.
- Coola – Coola has a great BB cream with SPF. I love all of their products so if you haven’t tried anything of theirs yet, this should be the first!
- Mineral Fusion – This 3-in-1 color stick is the perfect summer beauty product. The pretty side of pink is a wonderful color for cheeks, lips & eyes.
For more posts like this one, check out my Beauty Page. You can also check out my Summer Beauty Week for the perfect tips for this summer. Each day this week I will be posting something new so be sure to check it out!
While I was doing some spring cleaning, I decided to go through my makeup drawer and clean out what I have. A few years ago, I decided to go natural with my makeup to try to avoid as many chemicals I possible could. And since makeup is something that directly went onto my skin every day, I had to make the change.
Luckily, there are so many great natural brands to help make the transition. I started my search at Whole Foods to check out what they had to offer and then I went online to do my research. I was able to find 3 brands that I really loved and was happy to stick with. Not only do their beauty products work and perform well, the companies have great values and stand the test with EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database.
My Favorite Natural Makeup Brands
Mineral Fusion // This brand is one of my favorites from Whole Foods to purchase any makeup that I might need. I love their lipsticks & lip glosses and their blushes are the best. Mineral Fusion has this 3-in-1 stick that is my go-to when traveling. It is the perfect color for anything and I can use it on my cheeks, eyes or lips! Check it out below…
Check out Mineral Fusion here: Mineral Fusion
W3LL PEOPLE // My favorite mascara is from W3LL PEOPLE. This mascara is the best. I first got it in a birchbox and I loved it. I have always been pretty simple with my makeup routine, some mascara, sunscreen & tinted lip balm so when I found a mascara that I loves and was also natural, non-gmo, gluten-free & EWG verified, I was sold. Check it out below…
Check out W3LL PEOPLE here: W3LL PEOPLE
Pacifica // One of my other favorite natural makeup brands would definitely be Pacifica. I was first introduced to this brand when I tried their roll-on perfume. I got rid of all of my perfumes because of all the harsh chemicals and this was the first one I tried and loved it. The smell was amazing (coconut – my fave) and it was so easy to travel with. Plus, it is easy on the budget. I also love their ultra CC cream with SPF and their natural lip tint. All are great products. Check them out below…
Check out Pacifica here: Pacifica
My favorite natural products
I always check all of my products with EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database to make sure that it is an okay product. I always aim for a product under 3. And I am also looking out for specific ingredients and chemicals to avoid. Check out their site and see if what you are using is healthy for you.
I hope you are able to replenish your makeup bag with these healthier options. I use all of these natural makeup brands and I am happy with all of them. Click on any of the images above to see more about the product. For more beauty tips like this, check out my Beauty Page.