Hey guys! New series to the blog will be my favorite tunes for the month. I love music so much so I thought I would share this passion with yall. I literally have playlists for everything too – when I am golfing, in the shower, working, reading or for when I am driving in the car. So I thought this would be a fun way to incorporate the blog into my musical passion.
Since this is my first month doing this, yall might have to hang in there with me! I going to try and make this as easy as possible for yall! I will have a song of the month as well as a fun playlist on Spotify that you can listen to! Check it out!
Song of the Month
January Jams Playlist
During my little holiday break vacation, I had a lot to think about. I had the pleasure of spending Christmas my almost my whole family as well as my two new nieces. And then I left the day after Christmas to spend New Years with my second family & best friends. I had so much to be thankful for this year but it is easy to let those little distractions cloud the wonderful blessings we all have.
Like I said earlier, I spent the week after Christmas & over New Years with my second family. We went on a Caribbean cruise and it was amazing! So I was a little distracted over New Years so I am a bit delayed on my new goals for 2017 so I thought to myself, how can I spend a little bit more time on this & make it better… so I decided on making 17 goals for 2017. To hold myself accountable, I decided to post them on the blog. Some are business related, some are a little more personal.
Check them out now! Leave a comment & let me know what your 2017 goals are!
- Give Back – I am very fortunate with the life I have been given. Yeah… I have had my struggles but for the most part… things have been great! One thing I would like to do this year would be to give back to those less fortunate. I know for sure that I am going to go through my closet and donate my clothes but I also think I want to donate my time at the cancer centers near by. What are some of your favorite ways to give back?
- Read More – I love reading but recently… I have loved Netflix a bit more. Netflix is a HUGE addiction… so much so that I have a post coming later this week with some of my binge worthy recommendations!
- Sleep Better – One thing I want to fully dedicate myself to would be to sleep better. The main reason I put this on the list is because I know I need to get rid of the technology time before bed. So one thing I am going to work on is to not use my phone after 10pm. I think that will help!
- Cook (& Bake) More – I have recently started to love cooking & baking. I will admit it… I never really had to do either of these. I didn’t really cook much in college either. But I need to start and I think this is the right time! Hopefully I will be able to post a bunch of my new cooking & baking adventures on the blog!
- Travel, Travel, Travel – I love to travel! But this year I would like to go to a couple new places I have never been. I have been wanting to take a trip to the northeast or explore more of California.
- Develop a Workout Routine – I used to work out all the time. Seriously. All through high school and college, I worked out almost every day. Not so much anymore. It can be such a hassle but I seriously need to come up something that I enjoy and will want to do!
- Clean Up & Get Organized – I take pride in being a very organized person but these last couple weeks have not been great. I would like to get together a better plan of staying organized this year so I don’t have to keep cleaning up after myself!
- Remain Cancer Free – This is a big one for me! It is also a recurring goal of mine. I also think it is self explanatory.
- Practice Makes Perfect – Well, perfect practice makes perfect. One of my big goals for this year would be to get back out on the golf course and practice more. Golf has been a part of my life for the past 10+ years and I don’t ever see it leaving. I would like to get back to being competitive again and maybe play in a couple of events!
- Go on a Road Trip – I went on a road trip with 2 of my best friends at the end of 2016 and we had so much fun! 10+ hours in the car can get a little crazy but I think we all enjoyed it. I would love to do something like that again. Maybe I could turn that trip to the northeast or California into a road trip!
- Create More Content – I have really been slacking this year with the content. I would like to get back to posting every week & possibly 2-3 times a week! I would also like to get more in depth with my fashion & style posts! So hopefully be on the lookout for that!
- Go Video – Incorporate YouTube – Video! Yes video has become super popular. I think I would like to start doing some vlogs for yall. I haven’t really decided on this one though. Depends on how much extra time I have!
- Revamp the Website – I am really thinking about doing an update for the website.
- Read More – Like I said earlier in this post, I would like to read more. This includes business books. For every fun book I read, I am going to read a business related book.
- Write More – I love to write – when I say write… I actually mean write. Like with a pen and paper. I would like to get back to journalling and writing. Maybe make it a weekly thing so I can write down my thoughts, goals and lists!
- Create Some “Freebies” – Everyone loves a good “freebie” I want to create some “freebies” or checklists that yall can download to help with your fashion, lifestyle & career.
- Go Mobile – With all the traveling I am doing, I would like to get everything mobile so I can work on the go. This could include cleaning up my computer & phone so that I have the ability to! Anyone have any great tech devices that would help with going mobile?
I hope that these goals have helped and motivated you to set some goals yourself! If you have any questions or would like some help, feel free to leave a comment below! I would love to help you out as much as I can!
Users who have LIKED this post:
2016 has surely been a year of ups & downs! We have witnessed so many tragedies as a country but we also got to experience some great highlights! We have a lot to be thankful for so let’s take some positives and move on into the new year!
I would like to take the time to go over some of my highlights from 2016 & also talk about my best 9 on Instagram. Check them out below!
My Highlights of 2016
- Became an Aunt | Yes… you read that correctly. I became an aunt for the first time! And not just once… but twice this year! I have been blessed with two beautiful nieces. Both are doing great (and so are the mommas) Welcome to the world Reese Kelly & Georgia Greer!
- Stayed Cancer Free | It has been a struggle but we managed to stay cancer free! Had to incorporate a lot into my lifestyle in 2016 but we got through it. Another year toward my first goal of 5 years cancer free! Then to a lifetime without cancer!
- Traveled New Places | I love being able to travel and these past years did not disappoint. This past year I have been able to go to Orlando (Disney World & Universal Studios), Pittsburgh, Figure 8 Island, Atlanta, Boone, Blowing Rock, and to top of the end of the year… I am leaving for a cruise TODAY!
- Bought a New Car | I bought my first car… yes I know it seems like it took me forever to do it (26 years old) but I did! I got a 2016 Volvo XC90 and I love it! It has hard saying goodbye to my old car Humpfrey (Hummer H3) but me and Voldemort are ready to take on the world! And yes I name my cars…
Best 9 on Instagram
I hope that you all had a great 2016. Now lets have an even better 2017!
Users who have LIKED this post:
I have to admit… this is my first time ever using fennel. Well technically it was my first ever trying fennel in the first place. I wasn’t sure about it because when raw, it has a strong licorice-like taste. But when braised, it mellows nicely and it is the perfect compliment to these thick, juicy pork chops.
I tried out this recipe last night with some family and it was so delicious. I got the recipe from a cookbook called: Skinnytaste Fast and Slow by Gina Homolka. I would totally recommend it to anyone.
I have included the recipe from the cookbook below. Check it out!
Skillet Pork Chops with Braised Fennel and Shallots
- 4 bone-in center cut pork loin chips
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salted butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb (stalks cut off)
- 1 large shallot (cut into wedges)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Season the pork chops with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the broth and mustard
- Halve the fennel bulbs lengthwise into quarters, leaving the core intact so they don't fall apart
- In a cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium heat
- Add the pork chops and cook until browned and cooked through - 7 to 8 minutes per side
- Transfer to a platter and tent with foil
- Turn the heat under the skillet to medium-low and add the olive oil, fennel and shallots - cook until browned (2 minutes)
- Turn the vegetables over and add a pinch of pepper and salt - cooke until browned (2 minutes)
- Reduce the heat to low and add the broth-mustard mixture, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan
- Cover and simmer until the fennel is tender, 10 to 12 minutes
- Increase the heat to medium, uncover and simmer until the liquid reduces - 3 minutes
- Transfer to the platter with the pork and pour the sauce over the pork (NOTE: I added the pork chops back into the skillet for about a minute on low heat)
- Garnish with the reserved chopped fennel tops
Kerri Dice http://kerridice.com/
To purchase the cookbook, click this link: Skinnytaste Fast and Slow by Gina Homolka
Users who have LIKED this post:
The holiday season is such a blast! There is so much love, excitement and fun! It is also an excuse to get dressed up with those you love!
I have been looking for the perfect holiday dress to wear this season and it has been quite difficult. Not because there aren’t any options… but because there are too many options! I literally couldn’t decide on a dress to wear!
I always like to have a couple outfits (or dresses) ready in my closet to go to any parties. Here are a couple of options for you to check out:
(click on any of the images above to take a closer look)
Aren’t they all so pretty?!? Now you can see why it has been such a struggle to pick one.
All of these dress options would look great with a classic pump or a strappy sandal depending on the look you want to portray.
Users who have LIKED this post: